Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Ad Hoc Plots


My friend Erin Despard has been using plastic and foil packets for seedlings--an idea I quickly adapted. I also use milk cartons to grow peas because they grow up fast before the container can rot. Just be sure to poke holes in the bottom of your garden hack containers for drainage.

Artists Jenn Pearson and Sauha Lee have noticed evidence of the boom in home gardening. They've been scouting out "ad hoc plots" in their neighborhoods. Adhoc plots is a shared collective and virtual space meant to celebrate: DIY, experimental, and resourceful gardening projects. Find them on Instagram @adhoc_plots.


Have you seen examples of these improvised Victory Gardens near you? Check out some of the history of the original WWI Victory Gardens in this blog post.

Lois Klassen and I also did some work around this in 2008. Read more about that on her blog here (1), here (2) and here (3).

I would also encourage you to check out this lovely post in Beside Magazine, passing on the knowledge of elders, on how to make a mini greenhouse out of an old window.



I've been growing veggie and herb starts for our plots at Terra Nova. Here you can see purple cauliflower, dragonhead (smells and tastes like lemon balm), calendula and marigolds which will be used for dye, and my favourite fruit: ground cherries.


I've found that walking down back alleys is less stressful than negotiating with the shared space of the sidewalk and discovered some secret gardens.


This backyard is completely converted to a trellis for squash and gourds.


This is another garden with trellises and plots. That's goji berry growing up on the side.


Here's some ad hoc pots and boxes in the hood.

Photo by Jenn  Pearson

I like the use of the lawn chair for some extra height.

Photo by Jenn Pearson
I'm not sure what function the orange plastic serves in these garlic plots.

Photo by Jenn Pearson

I like the detail of the rock and pine cone collection! I hope this has inspired you to create your own ad hoc plots! Let get gardening!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment